In cooperation with the Federal Government, the Circuit Clerk's Office offers passport application services as a part of it's continuing service to the community.

The Passport Services office is located in:

Room 200/201, Downtown Courthouse

Where Do I Apply for a Passport?

Passports are done by appointment only. Please call the Circuit Clerk's Passport Office at 815-433-0774 to schedule your appointment. All passports are processed at the downtown Courthouse.

If you are leaving the U.S. in less than 14 calendar days, or if you are pressed for time in obtaining a foreign visa, then you may apply, by appointment only, at the Chicago Passport Agency, 101 S. Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL. You may schedule an appointment by calling the National Passport Information Center at  877-4USA-PPT  (877-487-2778) or going online to You will need proof of immediate travel (airline ticket, confirmed airline-generated itinerary, or a travel letter from an employer for business travel). It is highly suggested you do not book your airline tickets until you have spoken with a customer service representative regarding your situation.

How Do I Get a Passport in Hurry?

Requests to expedite require an additional fee of $60.00. If you want overnight or express delivery of your new passport, you may submit a prepaid, self-addressed envelope with your application.  These currently can take up to 10 weeks.

When Should I Apply For a Passport?

Apply at least 4 months before your planned departure. Passport applications are currently taking 11-14 weeks (including time for mailing). If your travel plans are before this time frame, we highly suggest you pay the extra $60.00 to have your application expedited. If you need a visa from a foreign embassy, allow more time.

How Do I Apply For a Passport at the Clerk's Office?

An application consists of the following six (6) items:

1. Call our Passport Division at 815-433-0774 to schedule your appointment. Passport hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30a.m. - 3:00p.m. excluding court holidays.

2. Completed U.S. Dept. of State "Application for Passport," Form  DS-11. The form is also available in an online format at

3. Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as your previous U.S. passport, or:

If you were born in the U.S., you may submit a certified copy of your birth certificate that includes your first and last names, parents' full names, date and place of birth, and date the birth record was filed. Certification must include the seal or other official certification of the official custodian of such records. If no birth record exists, submit a registrar's notice stating that fact and one of the following: early baptismal or circumcision certificate, hospital birth record, early census, school, or family Bible records, newspaper or insurance files, or notarized affidavits of persons having knowledge of your birth (preferably with at least one of the other listed records). Such records should include your first and last name, date, and place of birth, and seal or other certification of office (if customary) and signature of the issuing official.

If you were born outside the U.S., you may submit a Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Report of Birth Abroad, or similar evidence.

If you are a citizen from the naturalization of your parent(s), submit the Certificate(s) of Naturalization of your parent(s), your foreign birth certificate, and proof of your admission to the U.S. for permanent residence.

4. Proof of identity

You may submit your previous U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, driver's license (not a learner's permit or temporary license), or government identification card or passport.

5. Social Security Number, if any

Although not required for issuance of a passport, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, 26 USC § 6039E, states that any passport applicant failing to provide this information is subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.

6. Photograph (you can get these taken at Walgreen's, Wal-Mart and CVS).

The photo must be of you alone. It must be 2" x 2" in size, and the area from the bottom of your chin to the top of your hair must be between 1" and 1-3/8". Photo must be clear, front view, full face, in normal attire, and without a hat or glasses (even if you wear them on a daily basis).  It must be on a plain white or off-white background and must be in color. Retouched photos in which your appearance is changed are not acceptable.

Passport1 Execution Fee2 Total Fee
New adult (16 yrs. and over) passport book
$130 $35 $165
New child (15 yrs. and under) passport book
$100 $35 $135
Renewal of adult passport book
$130 $0 $130
Passport Card - Adult
For Travel to Canada &
Mexico by land & sea only
$30 $35 $65
Passport Card - (15 & under)
For Travel to Canada &
Mexico by land & sea only
$15 $35 $50
For expedited processing, a $60 fee1 is charged in addition to the "Passport" and "Execution" fees.
1 This fee must be paid by check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of State". Cash will not be accepted.
2 This fee may be paid by cash, check, money order or credit card. A check or money order must be payable to "LaSalle County Circuit Clerk".

7. Fees (see above)

Bring all of the above items with you to your appointment at our Civil Division office in Room 200 or Room 201 of the Downtown Courthouse.

Where Can I Get the Required Forms?

You may get applications and related forms at our Downtown Courthouse, or by following the link at the top of this page.

Forms are also available for pickup at the Criminal Justice Center, County Clerk's office and Walgreen's.

Must Applications Be Made In Person?

If you are applying for a first time passport, you must apply in person. This includes all infants and children. If you are renewing your passport and meet certain conditions (see How do I Renew My Passport), you may apply by mail.

Minor Passport (17 & Under)

If the minor is under 16 , both parents must be present at the time of application and must present a valid photo I.D. If the second parent is not present, you must provide one of the following:

  1. Evidence you have sole legal custody of the child (unless child's travel is restricted by the order).

  2. Notarized, written consent from the other parent for the issuance of the passport. Click here for the form.

  3. A written statement why non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained.

  4. The child's certified birth certificate, report of birth abroad, or certificate of birth abroad listing ONLY the applying parent.

  5. Adoption Decree listing ONLY the applying parent.

  6. Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child.

  7. Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent.

  8. Death certificate of non-applying parent.

Who May Renew a Passport?

You may renew your passport, if you meet the following conditions:

  • Your most recent passport was issued when you were 16 years old or older
  • Your most recent passport was issued within the past 15 years
  • Your most recent passport is not damaged or mutilated
  • You use the same name as on your most recent passport (or you can properly document that your name has been changed by marriage or court order)

How Do I Renew My Passport?

If you meet all of the above conditions for renewal, send the following items to the National Passport Center (address on application form):

Completed "Application for Passport by Mail,"
Form DS-82 (print and then fill out by hand)    OR    (fill out online and then print)
Your most recent passport
Passport fee of $130.00
Recent identical photo (see previous description at item #6)

How Do I Replace My Passport Issued Over 15 Years Ago?

You must apply for a new passport and submit your expired passport with your application. You must file the DS-11 and follow the guidelines for a first time passport.

How Do I Replace My Lost or Stolen Passport?

You must submit an application for a new passport, including all necessary documentation and fees. Fill in as much of the information as possible. If your most recent passport is still valid, you must also submit a "Statement Regarding Lost Or Stolen Passport," Form .

How Do I Check on the Status of my application?

To check the status of your application online, you will need:

  • Your last name, including suffixes without punctuations except for the hyphen
  • Date of birth in the following format: MM/DD/YYYY
  • The last four digits of your Social Security number

Securely input your information here to check your application status and to print out passport application proof.

Sources of Information:

Chicago Passport Agency
U. S. Department of State
101 W. Congress Parkway
9th Floor
Chicago, IL 60605-1074

Hours: 9:00am - 4:00pm, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
Automated appointment number: 877-487-2778
[applications accepted by appointment only]

U. S. Department of State
[application requirements and forms for downloading, visa information]